Sunday, April 10, 2011

Top Five...

When I come home every night and tell Joe all about my day, he often responds with... "Well, I'm glad you're having 'the missionary experience' with this job.  Now you can have a little taste of what its like!"  Even though I never got a chance to serve a mission, sometimes my job really does resemble the missionary experience (for those who don't know, I'm a developmental specialist with an early intervention program- I teach ideas and strategies to families of children ages 0-3 with developmental delays or other disabilities)  And so... for your reading pleasure, I proudly present....

Top 5 Reasons Why My Job Resembles 'The Missionary Experience'

1.  I am constantly getting canceled on, rescheduled, or just plain stood up.  I thought it was really weird that I got stood up or canceled in at least half of my appointments in the first week... but I've since learned that that's actually pretty normal.

2.  I spend a lot of time in peoples' homes.  Some are nice and clean and well-kept, others well... not so much.  It really has taught me to believe wholeheartedly what they say that you can really tell a lot about someone by the atmosphere in their home. 

3.  I teach people about something I'm passionate about and think will really make a difference for them.  I give "homework" or commitments, but not everyone follows through with what I ask them to do.  Some embrace me and our program completely, and others don't.  It makes me sad. 

4.  It never fails.  Just when I go to say something important, the dog starts barking, the kids run up the stairs crying, the phone rings, (insert distraction here)...  Its a little bit comical how often this happens. 

5.  About half of my caseload is Spanish-speaking.  This terrifies me because I really don't feel 100% secure with my Spanish abilities.  But I've really come to understand what missionaries talk about when they say that in a moment of need, they were given the gift of tongues.  Sometimes I walk out of homes, flabbergasted that I just spoke as fluently as I did, and that they ACTUALLY understood me and everything ( :

Well there you have it!  All in all I've really loved my job here in Provo and will really miss it when I have to start a new job search in Spokane.  It has been such a great experience for me to grow in so many different ways.  Really its reason #843,991 why I know Heavenly Father is watching out for our itty bitty family. 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had a job. That sounds like a lot of fun, with a little bit of challenging thrown in there to make it that much more rewarding. Are those pictures of Joe on his mission?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure do... and they sure are!

    ReplyDelete

Background