Monday, July 18, 2011

Down and OUT

In 2 weeks Joe and I will be losing our dental insurance.  And in anticipation of this event, I decided it was high time I got my wisdom teeth out.  Because the only thing worse than getting your wisdom teeth out is doing it in an emergency and without insurance. 

Overall the experience was not as terrible as I had anticipated.  We'll start with the bad news first.

BAD NEWS:    
- looking like a chipmunk (yes, we did take pictures and no, I'm not uploading them.  just superimpose my face onto that chipmunk and you'll get a pretty good idea)
- wearing ice packs on my cheeks... it gets old fast.
- having a fat numb lip and tongue.  tends to make communicating difficult.  I have a faint memory trying without success to tell Joe about the dush... aka juice
- taking all kinds of pills every 3 hours... and setting an alarm for several times overnight so I won't wake up in "tremendous pain". 
- being sick on top of the wisdom tooth thing.  I can't tell if I feel crumby because of my wisdom teeth or just because of my cold?

GOOD NEWS:
- thanks to my diligent ice pack wearing, I no longer look like a chipmunk! 
- I got knocked out with anethesia.  That's a first.  Not a bad gig that I don't remember a thing.  I'm just glad it didn't make me do anything ridiculous... like the girl the dentist told us about that woke up a few hours before me seriously upset that Justin Bieber wasn't there.  Hahahahaha.  
- sleeping for 20 hours a day.  never thought it was possible, but narcotics can do funny things to you. 
- a 4-day weekend full of nothing but sleeping, reading, smoothies, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Chronicles of Narnia
- did I mention smoothies?  and pudding?  what a diet.  and I don't even feel slightly guilty that I've had nothing nutritious to eat.  i'm only following dentist's orders.
- I have the best husband EVER who tucked me in to bed and then busied himself making me smoothies and getting me movies.  He even gave me a bell to ring if I needed anything.  And he insisted on setting HIS alarm all night long so he could get me my meds and re-wrap my cheeks with ice.  He took such good care of me ( :

3 comments:

  1. I'm kind of jealous. I had to be awake for that fun process. Although I ate a cheeseburger the next day so it must not have been as traumatic. Sorry that you lost all your wisdom but I'm glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww your husband is SO sweet! Made me happy inside. I am also glad you like smoothies! Theyre delicious. I had my mouth wired shut for 6 weeks...I lived on POTATOE MILKSHAKES! gross, right? Saved my life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...I wanna see the pics. (Although i do love the chipmunk photo!) I just want to compare with Braden. Someone has to have bragging rights! So glad you are bouncing back :)

    ReplyDelete

Background