Sunday, March 11, 2012

sew busy

Holy cow its been awhile since I've updated this!  I didn't realize it had been so long.  But really there hasn't been much to update y'all on.  Joe goes to school.  I go to work.  We come home, eat a quick bite, watch a few shows (currently The Voice, American Idol, The Biggest Loser, Once Upon a Time, and yes, The Bachelor) and go to bed only to do it all over again the next day.  Don't get me wrong, life is absolutely wonderful and we're sneaking in time for a little fun here and there.  But there's not much that's blog-worthy.  Maybe I should lower my blog-worthy standards in an effort to increase postings.  We'll see. 

So in the absence of anything super exciting to share, I thought that I would take the chance to show a few of my latest sewing adventures.  I'm growing in confidence... slowly.... but growing nonetheless.  I've now conquered buttons, the double needle, velcro, gathering, knife pleats, inverted pleats, a blind hem stitch (which almost cost me my hair, but I managed to refrain from pulling it out...ugh) and most recently.... an invisible zipper (also almost cost me my hair...)!  So here they are, in no particular order...
A lunch bag... lined with plastic for easy cleaning.  Goodbye ugly brown lunch sacks that don't always fit my tupperware containers anyway!  Ignore the ugly sewing on the top from the velcro.... definitely still a beginner! ( :
A pleated cotton skirt with a zipper... thanks to Joann coupons, cost me just under $8!!!
I'm smiling because I'm so happy that after all that work, it actually fits.
A super stretchy (and did I mention, SUPER COMFY) maxi skirt with a yoga waistband.
And a couple flower headbands... which were actually hot glue gunned, not sewn.  But I thought they should make the cut for this post anyway ( :  I made them with felt and some headbands I already owned, so they cost me about 30 cents or less a piece!
I sure am learning a lot... about myself (a teensy bit spatially challenged, and a lot impatient...) about math (ewww I swore those stinkin Geometry classes would never ever be useful in real life... and I was quite wrong about that!) and about how to save a few bucks by "doing it (my)self!"

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! I love that maxi skirt. Did you find a tutorial online for it or something? I love those headbands too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I sure did... I owe 99.9% of my sewing projects to pinterest (: Here's the pin.
      http://pinterest.com/pin/118149190194344011/

      Delete
  2. My mother-in-law said she'd buy me a sewing machine (like a year ago) I just have to pick it out. After seeing your fun projects, I really want to get it soon! And P.S. we are watching Once Upon a Time too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! I've had my fair share of sewing projects and commend you on your diligence. It is a brave past time.

    ReplyDelete

Background