For the time being, I seem to have acquired a stay at home husband, and I have to say, I'm a big fan. Joe is on week four of a six week summer break from school. That means clean laundry all the time, a spotless apartment, the fridge stocked and a hot homemade dinner on the table when I come home from a long day at work. Bills are paid, cars are washed, dishes are done, errands are run. I love it. I love him.
I can't tell you how nice it is to feel like our little home is being taken care of, however small it may be. And somewhere in the midst of being so grateful for my husband doing all these little things, I realized how important it is to have a homemaker.
See, when you and your husband are both in school/working 40+ hours a week, it feels a bit like a juggling act, with all those little daily living tasks getting tossed in the air with the work and school and church responsibilities and making friends and, and, and. Deep down the maternal instincts in me feel a little tug of guilt whenever I see the laundry pile up, or dinner turn into pancakes for the 3rd time this week.
We make it work, we do. But while Joe's still off from school, I'm glad for a little snapshot of time when I can get a taste of what its like to come home from a 9 hour day at work, and Joe can see what its like to be home and still quite busy all day. We're both hoping one day those roles will reverse someday. And when they do, I imagine we'll have truly walked in the others' shoes.
Scout Elizabeth Titus
9 years ago

I know what you mean! When you're both so busy it kills you to know the toilets haven't been cleaned in weeks and you can't remember the last time you saw vacuum lines on the carpet. Enjoy your lovely homemaker and hot dinners :)
ReplyDelete