Monday, August 12, 2013

in which we find out we're pregnant!

Although I have a million thoughts circling in my head, I'm at a loss for how to convey our experiences over the past month.  And how to do it without writing the longest post ever.  So I've decided to break it into a few different posts.  Bear with me, and you'll get the whole story.

Those of you that have read past posts know that Joe and I have been struggling with infertility.  We were on a medication that was supposed to regulate my cycles, making it easier to conceive.  It made me sick, but we were hopeful.  The medication didn't seem to be working, so I scheduled another appointment with my OBGYN to decide a new plan of action.  The night before my appointment I had this crazy thought that it would be incredibly embarrassing if the reason I hadn't had a period was because I was actually pregnant.  Even though I had taken plenty of pregnancy tests before, I decided to take one just in case the morning of my appointment.

Well the test read positive.  And I didn't believe it in the slightest.  I had never seen a test read positive, and I doubted the quality of the tests we had.  So I showed Joe with a "this stupid test doesn't even work" look on my face.  He didn't seem too convinced, and told me to take another.  I took two more tests and both read positive, but by this time he had left for school.  I went to my appointment, and to make an even longer story shorter, they confirmed that I was indeed pregnant!!!  I immediately broke down into tears and got hugs from every doctor and nurse around.

Then comes the part where I slowly tell everyone our good news.  My husband wouldn't be home from school for a few hours, so I got some baby clothes that said "Daddy's Girl" and "I'm Daddy's Best Buddy", and hung them around our apartment.  I tried to videotape his reaction when he walked in, but our ipad literally ran out of memory the second I said, "I'm pregnant".  Nonetheless, it was a very sweet, joy-filled occasion and one I will never forget.

We visited both sets of parents and told them on or around Father's Day.  We felt like it was the perfect occasion to share our news.  We gave my parents (first-time grandparents) board books called "Grandpa and Me" and "Grandma and Me".  More joy, more tears, and more hugs.

I think back to this time and can only remember an incredible feeling of amazement and gratitude.  Joe and I kept the secret between us for several weeks, and then just between us and close family for several more weeks.  I loved having this amazing, incredible secret that we shared, just between us.  I loved reading everything I could about pregnancy week by week and what I should expect.  I loved spending Father's Day celebrating the man that was actually a father, not would hopefully be someday.  I loved seeing babies and children and envisioning what our baby would look like.  I loved talking to Joe about our little miracle, and what lay in store for this sweet child.  Because to us it was exactly that- a miracle sent to us directly from another loving Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background