This weekend was full of sitting, congrats-giving, tassel-moving, picture-taking, and well-wishing. Yes, my little brother joined the ranks of the Richland Bomber Alum (and the BYU bound!)And as his proud sister, I feel its my right to brag just a little. After all, he was the only boy in his class to be honored as a Valedictorian/Salutatorian. He gave a darn good speech at graduation (after first recording the crowd on camera at the podium). He earned a full-ride scholarship to Brigham Young University, along with a handful of other scholarships to boot. And well, he's just awesome.
Last time I booked it home for a brothers' graduation, I had my pretty-serious-2-months-from-getting-engaged boyfriend to introduce everyone to. Needless to say, I had other things on my mind that go-around.
This time much more of the graduation hoopla sunk in. I relished in the anticipation, excitement, and hopefulness for the future. Amongst the gifts of towels, first aid kits, money, and cheery cards I found a favorite graduation sentiment: "Oh, the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss.
The prose in the book echoed the message repeated over and over in speeches, in chit-chat, and in so many cards exchanged that weekend. "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way!"
I pictured in my mind's eye these seniors in the crossroads of life, with a million choices ahead of them. Each leading down a different path, with different results. "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose."They're standing at the brink of greatness, but also on the cusp of heartache...most likely, a little of both.
A fleeting twinge of envy struck me, for this incredible place to be in life. For the fresh start, the limitless possibilities. But as quickly as it came, it left. These well-wishes needn't be exclusive to high school seniors. No matter if we've made 10 choices in life or 8,976,104... we can all steer ourselves in any direction we choose. We can all grab hold of life and make of it what we wish.
That's what is simultaneously beautiful and terrifying about the gift we call agency.



First of all, you are an amazing writer! You have got so much talent!
ReplyDeleteSecond of all how inspirational! I love it!
Great post...and yes, everyday begins with choices and opportunities. I am so happy you have made good ones and taken advantage of them! Thanks for setting such a great example as the 2nd Bomber Alum in our family!
ReplyDeleteI just read that book to Candon yesterday and love it and feel inspired every time I read it! Congrats to your brother for his impressive achievements!
ReplyDelete