Wednesday, August 8, 2012

biking adventures.

We've become quite the cyclists as of late.  Last weekend we rode a 14 mile loop on Centennial Trail here along the Spokane River.  And a few weeks ago Joe and I went with some friends to ride the Hiawatha, a 15 mile, all-downhill bike trail that has been created along an old railroad line in the Bitterroot Mountains on the Montana/Idaho state line.  I wasn't quite sure what I was getting myself into, but I figured if our friends' were willing to pull their twin 3 year olds in a caddy, I had no room to whine.  Did I mention it was all downhill?  Yeah, other than a pretty sore butt, it was easy peasy.  But SOOO beautiful!      
 
All pumped, checked, strapped, and ready to go!  Notice my honkin flashlight we rigged onto the front of the bike with bungee cords...


The reason for my honkin flashlight.  The trail had 9 tunnels along the trail that actually cut through the mountain.  The first was a good 2 miles long... and it was pitch black!  Too bad my "rigged" flashlight fell and broke into a thousand pieces about 10 feet out of the first tunnel....
A view of one of the 7 "trestles" along the trail.
The trestles were sorta high up... basically just standing on this overhang scared the living daylights out of me. 

On another trestle.  What a breathtaking view!!
 I'd say our $20 yard sale bikes were well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background