Sunday, August 5, 2012

practicing what i preach.

Today I taught the young women in our church about using language that is uplifting, hopeful, and encouraging.  I spoke about seeking out and concentrating on the good, and replacing negative thoughts with positive ones, however difficult that may seem at the time.  In doing so, I said, we can begin to change their entire attitude.

But my husband just left to go back to the Tri-Cities.  Again.  And I'm feeling pretty blue. 

(For those who don't know, Joe is doing a 5 week long internship in Richland, and staying with my parents there.  Unfortunately due to work obligations, I am staying in Spokane during this time)
 
So its time to practice what I preach.

Here are just a few of the silver linings I've found while we've been separated:

1.  No matter how sorry you feel for yourself, there is always someone who has bigger burdens.  I thought 5 weeks was rough until multiple of our friends mentioned absences of 6 months or even a year due to military and other similar responsibilities.  And my sweet widowed grandmother, who quietly said, "Well at least he'll come back.  My Jack is not coming back." 

2.  I've never been one to talk on the phone.  But after 4 weeks of talking on the phone (sometimes multiple times a day) I think I may be getting better.  Plus I'm getting to be a very proficient multi-tasker, accomplishing any number of household duties while cradling the phone against my shoulder.

3.  Those of you who know me best understand my increased difficulty with decision-making.  And particularly when my husband is around, I have a very low tolerance for making choices.  I tend to stop waffling and pro/conning and just let him make any and all decisions I can pawn off onto him.  So I've already seen how the last few weeks have been good for my independence and decision-making skills.

4.  I get so excited to see him on weekends!  Its so fun to anticipate seeing him and spending time together.  I even get butterflies.  The whole thing just reminds me of back when we were dating and had to make our time together count.  We're definitely in love and this separation has done a lot to strengthen our love and relationship.

5. Because I tend to be a bit paranoid about being all alone (which I fully attribute to too many crime shows...) I anticipated that this would be an extremely difficult five weeks.  And while it has been hard, I have also felt an enormous amount of peace and comfort that I cannot really put into words.  I have been drawn to my knees in prayer and I know that I have received the help I prayed for.  How wonderful to know that however alone we may feel during different times of our life, our Father in Heaven is always there to comfort us.  Always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background